About Me

My photo
Hello. My name is Mom. I am a wife / mom of 4 / blogger / organizer / deal seeker / list maker / planner and new homeschooler. Scroll down to the bottom and catch up as you follow us on our (2nd year) journey we call HOMESCHOOL!

Monday, August 5, 2013

6. Gearing Up

Welcome back! 2013's summer is nearing an end and we are gearing up for the school year. I last left you explaining that I had received this curriculum from my aunt near the Houston area. While it still is a blessing to have received it I realize it's not going to be something I can productively use in our routine. Therefore I will pass on this blessing to another family with much younger children and a little more time to get acquainted with prior to using it.

So, for the past three weeks (in between having a life and all) I have been sewing together our own curriculum using the many workbooks, tools, aides and resources that I have collected over several months this year. Things are coming together quite nicely. What I love about it is that I have all 36 weeks of our school year pre-planned in our lesson planner. Unlike the last two months of school last year (remember, I took the kids out with two months left of public school?) when each Sunday evening came around I had to come up with the weeks' plan. This was VERY stressful and took precious time away from my family.

I give a HUGE shout out to Lake Area Thrift Store for all of the wonderful CLEAN, unused workbooks they have sold to me. Without going back to check my receipts I have to guess that all of the workbooks my children will be using this school year PROBABLY cost a grand total of $6.00! Lest I mention the one's I purchased from the Goodwill on half-priced book day. Or, the books I got from the Family Resource Center in Tamarak on BOGO 1/2 off day. The feeling of being frugal? Priceless. Literally.

August 16th I have a date with my close friend and homeschool companion, Amber. She is taking me to the Lewisville Homeschool Resource Center. Of course we have to hit up a Starbucks first. I honestly do not know what I expect to find there, but Amber says it's the ideal go-to place for readying for the school year. Either way, I am looking forward to a mom's day out regardless.

So when does our first day begin? In two weeks; August 19th. I plan on having them school for nine weeks and then allowing them a one week break. This is to prevent all of us feeling overwhelmed and burned out. It's a protection tactic...for Momma - or the kids. Whichever way you want to look at it :)

During our week breaks we will spend an extra day in our Christian Ministry and we will continue our Blue Ticket incentive. The plan is not to break from learning; just break from formal learning. 

Check back in a few weeks to hear all about our first week of the 2013-2014 homeschool year.

No comments:

Post a Comment