About Me

My photo
Hello. My name is Mom. I am a wife / mom of 4 / blogger / organizer / deal seeker / list maker / planner and new homeschooler. Scroll down to the bottom and catch up as you follow us on our (2nd year) journey we call HOMESCHOOL!

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

1. Crossing the Road


    Congratulations. You just stopped at the most awesome little home school blog on the face of this hemisphere. Well, maybe not. But at least our children will think so. As the description states, this blog, along with my children's journalistic style blog to be shared with you in the future, is designed to display our adventure for our closest friends and family members. If you are reading this you have been invited to share our homeschooling experience with us. It WILL be a rough ride. It WILL be chaotic at times. It WILL be wonderful and, it WILL be inspiring to look back at my family's journey together and be amazed! Such is the same with the tortoise. (Could I be thinking of a MASCOT!? Husband shakes his head) 

The tortoise; small, slow. Not anxious to get where he is going. What a wonderful animal to mimic during our course. He begins his journey crossing the road. He knows his destination. He knows it takes time and patience. He may even encounter a distraction along the way. When he reaches his goal, the other side of the road, he may even look back and think to himself, "Look how far I've come!"


I could learn a lot from this patient creature. Learning should not be hurried. Learning should be long suffering. Learning should be enjoyed at the pace of the child, not the teacher nor the class. And, when a distraction comes our way we simply wait for it to pass and press on.


I am really eager to get started, as all I have done the past three months is research, inquire and prepare for the journey to "cross the road". Sharing my thoughts and excitement with the family at dinner gets the children as eager also. Why even this morning over breakfast (thank you Pinterest BTW for the idea with the eggs. Brilliant!) I mentioned yet another idea for next year's lesson plan. Before I knew it we were discussing HTML coding. I realized it was time to walk out the door for school. My, the groans that came from their disappointment! They were enjoying what I was showing them. They were involved. WE were learning. 


When I look back at this entry at the end of our first year I will be able to utter the thoughts of the tortoise, "Look how far we've come!" 


Thank you for stopping by. We plan to continue using Blogger as part of our computer learning and journal entry style blogging. 



Credits in reference to research tools I use: The Homeschooling Book of Answers: The 88 Most Important Questions Answered by Homeschooling's Most Respected Voices, McGraw-Hill Homeschooling Companion, and So You're Thinking About Homeschooling. Thanks to the Cedar Creek Library staff for your direction to these valuable tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment